CINQUE TERRE TRAVEL DIARY
Cinque Terre is a real life postcard – all five towns are absolutely picturesque, charming, and colorful. My boyfriend and I visited for the first time in August and here are some of our tips and recommendations:
Manarola: hike through vineyards and lemon trees
• Impressions: We stayed in this town so we might be a little biased. Personally, we felt that this was the most quaint and beautiful of all the towns we visited. From our hotel (La Trattoria), you can see the hilly vineyards, colorful buildings, and the clear waters.
• Restaurant Recommendation: Cuppun Magru (casual lunch spot for the most delicious seafood sandwiches – try the one with fresh sardines!), La Regina di Manarola (vibrant venue with delicious pastas, pizzas, and cocktails), Trattoria dal Billy (fresh and savory seafood for a reasonable price – must try the mussels!). Highly recommend making reservations for the last two restaurants // get an outdoor seat if you can.
Monterosso: long and sandy beach
• Impressions: Got off the train station and saw rows and rows of bright beach umbrellas. We wanted a relaxing day and spent the day at the beach in Monterosso. Be sure to rent your chairs and umbrellas ahead of time especially during high season.
• Recommendation: Found that Monterosso (compared to the other villages) was the best place for shopping for souvenirs (cheaper and more selection of ceramics). When you get off the train, turn left through the tunnel into the Old Town for lots of shops and restaurants.
Vernanza: cute town with colorful houses
• Impressions: cute town with colorful houses all around you. This was a wonderful location for our memorable photoshoot with David from Lovvia Memories. Will definitely look back at these photos and share the wonderful memories with friends and family.
• Restaurant recommendation: Belforte (try the lobster Tagliatelle & Squid Ink pasta! If you can, call to make a reservation ahead of time to sit outside. The view of the pier and the ocean is spectacular and the seafood was amazing)
Wish we had time to visit the rest of the towns. But we will be back because Cinque Terre was definitely one of our favorite places in Italy!
Philip & Corinna